Hui Mālama Ola Nā ‘Ōiwi's Traditional Health Program is dedicated to sharing the knowledge of Native Hawaiian cultural values, beliefs, history, and the practice of traditional kanaka maoli lapa‘au (Hawaiian medicine) on Hawaii Island. Delivery of information is provided through community workshops, individual group presentations, classes, and 1:1 individual and/or family sessions. All classes, workshops, and consultations are conducted by Poʻokela Ikaika Dombrigues, who is a Hawaii Island based Native Hawaiian Kahuna Lapa‘au. For more information on Poʻokela Ikaika, please visit his Website and Facebook page.
Our Traditional Health Program will encompass the following practices:
- Ola hou – RESTORE our Native Hawaiian culture through lapaʻau (healing) hoʻomaʻamaʻa (practices) that have been passed down orally from generation to generation from our kupuna
- Mālama – PRESERVE the mauli ola (power of healing) and the ʻike (knowledge) of our kūpuna
- Hoʻomau – PERPETUATE our Native Hawaiian culture by providing our Hawaiʻi Island community with traditional Native Hawaiian healing education, and encouragement of pono (righteous) living through by mind, body, and spirit
Island-wide lapaʻau workshops, group presentations and classes focus on:
- Lāʻau Lapaʻau (using herbs to heal)
- Hoʻoponopono (mediation/to make things right)
- Lomilomi Ha Ha (spiritual healing)
- Lāʻau Kahea (faith healing)
Skills incorporated in the learning process include:
- Nānā (observation)
- Hoʻolohe (listening)
- Mālama (preserve/taking care)
- Public workshops are conducted in Hilo, Kona, Kaʻu, Waimea/Kohala and Pahoa at least one day a year.
- Presentations specific to organized groups, agencies and educational institutions are provided upon request.
- Lapaʻau classes are scheduled in West Hawaii and East Hawaii. Class structure incorporates level of participant involvement and continuum of increased knowledge and practices.
- Individual educational consultations are available. Please contact the Traditional Health Program at 808-969-9220 to schedule an appointment.