Hui Mālama Ola Nā ‘Ōiwi's Traditional Health Program is dedicated to sharing the knowledge of Native Hawaiian cultural values, beliefs, history, and the practice of traditional kanaka maoli lapa‘au (Hawaiian medicine) on Hawaiʻi Island. Delivery of information is provided through community workshops, individual group presentations, classes, and 1:1 individual and/or family sessions.
Our Traditional Health Program encompasses the following practices:
- Ola hou – RESTORE our Native Hawaiian culture through lapaʻau (healing) hoʻomaʻamaʻa (practices) that have been passed down orally from generation to generation from our kūpuna
- Mālama – PRESERVE the mauli ola (power of healing) and the ʻike (knowledge) of our kūpuna
- Hoʻomau – PERPETUATE our Native Hawaiian culture by providing our Hawaiʻi Island community with traditional Native Hawaiian healing education, and encouragement of pono (righteous) living through by mind, body, and spirit
Island-wide lapaʻau workshops, group presentations and classes focus on:
- Lāʻau Lapaʻau (using herbs to heal)
- Hoʻoponopono (mediation/to make things right)
- Lomilomi Ha Ha (spiritual healing)
- Lāʻau Kahea (faith healing)
Classes, workshops, and consultations are conducted by Poʻokela Ikaika Dombrigues, who is a Hawaiʻi Island based Native Hawaiian Kahuna Lapa‘au. For more information on Poʻokela Ikaika, please visit his Website and Facebook page.
Skills incorporated in the learning process include:
- Nānā (observation)
- Hoʻolohe (listening)
- Mālama (preserve/taking care)
- Public workshops are conducted island-wide in Hilo, Kona, Kaʻū, Waimea/Kohala and Pahoa areas.
- Presentations specific to organized groups, agencies and educational institutions are provided upon request.
- Lapaʻau classes are scheduled island-wide.
- Individual educational consultations are available. Please contact the Traditional Health Program at 808-969-9220 to schedule an appointment.
New! - Grow Your Own Lāʻau Classes
- Hui Mālama Ola Nā ʻŌiwi launched its Grow Your Own Lāʻau program in December 2017 in an effort to encourage the community to use natural remedies when possible!
- Two-hour hands-on class led by Matthew Kahoʻohanohano of Mauʻi.
- Grow Your Own Lāʻau classes are scheduled island-wide.
Join us for our next Grow Your Own Lāʻau class and learn more about how to grow medicine in your very own garden! For more information on upcoming classes, please call (808) 969-9220 and speak with the Traditional Health team.
Visit hmono.org/classes/ to sign-up for traditional health classes today! Or call us at (808) 969-9220.