Hui Mālama Ola Nā ‘Ōiwi is a resource for those who are challenged by cancer. From oncology referrals to insurance issues, our certified Cancer Patient Navigators can provide the most current information available to help clients and their families make informed decisions concerning all aspects of their cancer care. Navigators trained under the ‘Imi Hale Patient Navigator model help clients and their families overcome barriers to cancer care by providing individualized assistance to patients, survivors, and families.
Program services include:
Ho‘okele I Ke Ola: Cancer Patient Navigation
Cancer Patient Navigators are trained to:
- Work with your doctor and cancer team to make sure you are aware of services that can help you
- Help you and your family get information about cancer and your cancer care
- Guide you to and through the health care system
- Help you fill out forms and find ways to pay for health care if you don't have insurance
- Help with transportation and housing
- Direct you to local agencies who provide support
- Help you keep track of your doctor visits
- Accompany you to appointments if requested
Cancer Support Group
Compassion, caring, and sharing of your journey through cancer. Before, during, and after. Who better to support you through your journey than an ‘Ohana that has experience with the struggle? HMONO's Cancer Support Group provides current cancer patients and survivors of cancer with support needed for anyone going through cancer. Cancer Support Group meets twice a month and is very, very active in the community; educating, advocating for survivorship, and sharing their personal stories that support celebrating life each day. A current initiative by group members is to establish cancer support groups in each of Hui Mālama’s rural sites across the island, building a island-wide cancer support network.
Our Cancer Support Group meets every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month in Hilo. Additional groups are being developed throughout our island.
No Na Wahine: For the Women
Through our No Na Wahine Program, we provide education, encouragement, and assistance to the Wahine of our community. We share vital knowledge about annual health screenings, clinical breast exams, cervical exams, and mammograms.